Tuesday 25 January 2011

Wear A Chair

Initially I typed the words wear a chair into google to see what I got back and these are a few images of things I found.




Although I think that some of these are quite clever I want to try and maybe be a little less obvious in my response to wear a chair. So I started thinking about the materials used to make chairs like wood, metal and plastic and looked at other items made from those materials.




  
I found alot of items by various designers such as Hussein Chalyan, Stella McCartney and Yohji Yamamoto. I started thinking about making something out of a chair that was wearable rather then trying to find a way to wear a chair in its original state. As there would only be so much i could do with a whole chair i thought about trying to make something or more than one thing smaller than the actual chair and thought about trying to create some jewellery.
I brought a chair that was made of both wood and metal so that I had different materials to experiment with and began cutting up both materials.

I started out cutting aswell well as drilling holes into the chair legs and then I cut up the chair seat into various shapes. I thought about different ways I could join the pieces together and make them wearable, I also looked at Brilliantly Birmingham for inspiration and how to make some of the pieces a little more delicate. I experimented with wool, string and copper wire. 






After the experiments the pieces I felt were more successful were the neck pieces and here are the ones I feel turned out most like I envisioned they would.

On the whole I am pleased with the outcome for wear a chair however I feel that if I were to repeat this project I would concentrate a lot more on the finish of the pieces and try to make them look more wearable and polished.





No comments:

Post a Comment