Wednesday 26 January 2011

Versimilitude - Make us believe we are seeing something we are not

When I read this the first things that came to mind were optical illusions as they can appear to be something they are not and they can also appear differently dependant on the viewer.
As I didn't feel up to the challenge of trying to create this sort of thing I began to look at things that were photographed up close and special effects make up.


I then went onto looking at images that were cleverly set up so they appeared to be something unreal looking.



I really like these images especially the forced perspective photographs, so I thought that I'd try to create something similar. I went out and attempted to create some forced perspective pictures but it was a little advanced for my current skill level. I then watched horizon - seeing is believing on BBC1 and found it really interesting. It asked the question is seeing believing or do we see what we belive?. It talked about magicians and fact that they have a good understanding of how we percieve the world and how to manipulate what we see through this understanding, it also stated that sight and hearing can be cheated as we sometimes predict what we think will happen and make our own conclusions. I then began to look at stereotypes and common misconceptions, like people making snap judgements about people based on a single image, or people hearing things and believing or accepting they are the truth or a fact. Whilst researching I realised that there are alot of things I had believed to be the truth that weren't. So I decided to print out 3 common misconceptions, things that most people would have heard and not questioned and the idea is that people will read them and accept them as the truth when in fact they are incorrect, thus making them believe they are seeing something they are not the truth.
This is an image of the three misconceptions I decided to mount on the wall with the truth at the bottom in a much smaller less imposing font. I am pleased with the outcome however I would have liked to spend more time looking at different fonts and methods of presentation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment