Wednesday 26 January 2011

Make or design something which unfolds, opens out, or spreads out

The first thing thing I thought of was origami as its artwork created using a series of folds and it can be both intricate and simple.
I then began looking at everyday items that fold and unfold like umberellas, chairs and ironing boards etc. I also looked at fashion items that folded through pleating etc.


After looking at the use of folding and pleating in fashion I decided to try and create a sculpture/ dress that folds and unfolds, with influences for the construction that came from bustles, crinolins and lampshades. So I began doing some sketches of skirts and dresses.

I wanted to make a dress thats skirt would fold to create a kind pleat but that could also unfold to create a full lampshade like bottom. I then a drafted a pattern for the dress and began making a mock up. I had to make a few alterations to the original pattern to get the look I wanted. Originally I wanted to use boning to  give the skirt its fullnes and hold its shape but because of the size I wanted the skirt to be it wasn't strong enough and so I used copper wire instead. I then began to think about how the dresss would retract and release and decided on inserting a pull string inside the dress so I could control the movement.



Although the dress resombles the outcome I wanted it doesn't work exactly as I intended it to. I wanted pleats to be created as the dress contracted but it just folds up, if I had more time I would try to adapt the pattern to get the finish I initially wanted but as it stands the skirt folds and unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment